Friday, July 24, 2015

Making Rings and I Just Can't Quit


Wrapping rings can be challenging. Sometimes they just don't turn out the way you plan, but sometimes they turn out pretty cool. 
Making rings takes lots of practice. Don't believe any tutorial that tales you something like "it's just this easy," because really it's challenging. I haven't quite mastered the skill and I've been practicing for months.

Even though I don't feel like a master, I keep making rings (and I've even sold a few.) So when I got my new package from Fire Mountain Gems today I made that little yellow flower ring that's pictured above. It took all of about five minutes, and I think it turned out pretty good.

If you enlarge the picture you will see some bite marks on these particular pieces. That's where the pliers have removed some of the sterling silver plate and the brass color is showing through. 

There is a remedy for this dilemma all it takes is a little Tool Magic.  Tool Magic coats jewelry tools so they have a rubber coating. The tools still grip well, and it protects the wires from scaring. I actually prefer Tool Magic to nylon coated tools. The good thing about Tool Magic is that it isn't permanent and it doesn't ruin your tools. 



The only thing I would tell you is that the tools have to be dipped periodically.  But, don't worry a jar will last awhile. 

Don't forget to check out my jewelry at Excavating Treasure on Etsy.

What tricks do you use when making rings or jewelry?





1 comment:

  1. I am not an expert either, but I love to try my hand at making wire rings. Love the green star!

    ReplyDelete