Friday, July 31, 2015

Why I Prefer to Use Natural Materials to Make My Jewelry


 
beading, gemstones, beading with gemstones, natural stones, excavating treasures
I never really looked at a book to tell me why I should use real gemstones for my jewelry pieces; although, I'm sure I could learn lots of reasons why gemstones are amazing. I didn't weigh the options. I didn't even consider the cost, even though gemstones are cheaper than you might imagine.

All I did was fall in love. I fell in love with the texture, the look, the weight of real gemstone jewelry. I suppose jewelry and I have had a passionate love affair for more than 20 years, but I've always hated the way synthetic metals made my fingers turn green.

School friends would wear the cutest new "fashion jewelry" and look adorable. I would put it on, wear it for a few hours, and the next thing you know my fingers, neck or earlobes were green. I despised the way that made me feel inferior -- moldy.

Plastic beads were great growing up, and I have seen pieces that look beautiful that are constructed with them, but if there is the option for gemstones over plastic or acrylic, I will choose them every time. My grandmother -- and crafter extraordinaire -- once told me,

"If you use cheap materials to make it, it's going to look cheap when you're finished with it."

I believe gemstones, natural stones, sea glass, and sea shell are perfect to make beautiful pieces. That's why at Excavating Treasure, I make most of my pieces out of natural materials.  Don't get me wrong, occasionally, I'll do a piece with glass beads, or porcelain beads, but my favorite pieces by far are the gemstone pieces.
  gemstones, beading, jewelry making, jewelry, excavating treasures, natural stones  
Many of my pieces feature not only gemstones, but sea glass or sea shell that I have actually picked up with my own hands. Most of the sea glass comes from the little town of Port Lavaca, Tx, while most of the sea shell comes from Virginia Beach, VA and the Outer Banks, NC.

--Susan  
Sea Treasures Necklace by Susan Elliott
Jewelry Details This one-of-a-kind necklace and earring set is a gift from the sea. It is constructed with yellow jade, white fresh water pearl, white beach stone, beach metal and glass beads.

The necklace pendant is wire wrapped with sterling silver plate wire. The clasp is an original design.

The pendent measures 2-inches in length.

The earrings feature white sea stone, sea metal, yellow jade and glass beads. They measure approximately 1-inch.

The stones and metal were found at the beach in Virginia Beach.


Story Behind the Necklace: My husband and I took a quick trip to Virginia Beach, VA. While there we visited several beach fronts. The last one we visited had many shells, but one of the coolest things we found on that beach was the sea metal.

I couldn't help but imagine the metal pendant could have been part of a pirate's cannon, or maybe part of a U-Boat (Yes, there was a U-Boat destroyed near there during WWII -- I never knew.) I am sure that I'll never know for sure where the metal comes from, but it is an interesting conversation piece and makes an exquisite one-of-a-kind necklace.


What materials do you like to use when making jewelry?



jewelry making, excavating treasure, etsy store, gemstone jewelry, sea inspired,
 

1 comment:

  1. I have started using glass beads and colored wire for some projects as well as silver colored wire. This reduces the cost some for "costume" jewelry, but so far (fingers crossed) it hasn't reacted with my skin!

    ReplyDelete