Friday, July 31, 2015

Selling on Ebay, Etsy, or Amazon



I've been making jewelry for awhile now, and I am trying to figure out which place is the best place to sell my jewelry online. So far the best response I've had was on Facebook from friends -- I actually sold a few pieces that way.

Etsy

I started the Excavating Treasure site on Etsy, and have listed lots of jewelry, but so far no sales. In the last few weeks I've only hand around 175 page views. This tells me that the market is either flooded, that my keywords aren't up to snuff, my pictures aren't the best, or Etsy is not the place for me. I'm not sure which. The only thing I know for sure is that I am in the red with Etsy, because every listing costs me  20 cents.

I've been told (NEVER seen it myself) Etsy pays out immediately to Paypal when something sales. So, at least that's good.

Update: I've decided to abandon my Etsy store for now, but if I figure out the tricks of it, I will let you know!

Ebay

Since page views seem kind of slow, and in the past I've done really well on Ebay -- selling other items -- I thought I'd try to sell my handmade jewelry for a reduced price in an auction setting.  I listed my first piece "Autumn Harvest Necklace" on Ebay. It didn't sale even though I had several page views.


I have noticed the traffic is much higher on Ebay. Since I listed my auction, I've had 70 page views, but no watchers or bids. If the item sells, Ebay will take a percentage, but they offer free listing fees. Giving it a try only costs a bit of time. Unfortunately, many Ebay shoppers are bargain hunters, and this is what I found to be the case with my jewelry.

Ebay also uses Paypal so if something sells I can direct deposit the money ASAP.

Amazon

I haven't tried listing jewelry on Amazon, but I'm considering it. I know Amazon holds funds for I think 30 days (if I remember correctly). That, I'm not fond of, because that leaves me paying the shipping and not recouping any costs for a month. This is why I'm leery of selling there. With that said, I may give it a try after Ebay.

At this point I'm not sure what I'm doing, so we are learning together. Once I figure out the best solution for sales, I will share it with you!

How have you had success selling online?






2 comments:

  1. Since there are more people who are using social media websites than actual selling websites such as etsy or eBay, it’s safe to say that social media might be the best way in order for your products or items to become known and sell exceptionally well. Since Etsy already has a lot of people and shops registered into it, it’s really hard to make the spotlight shine on your shop if it’s too crowded. In social media, however; technically you don’t have much competitors. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Susan!


    Elliot Roderick @ CityClip Media

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I have sold much more via Facebook than anywhere else. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete